Bonfire Night is always an exciting event for children – whether their families decide to visit an official display or choose to purchase their own fireworks.
But with many people, including children, hospitalised with firework-related injuries each autumn, it’s important to remember how dangerous fireworks can be.
According to NHS Digital, 545 people had to visit A&E with a firework-related injury between 29 October and 12 November in 2016.
- Only adults should deal with setting up firework displays, the lighting of fireworks and the safe disposal of fireworks once they have been used. Children should not be asked to help at any stage.
- Children should watch displays from a safe distance – they should be well away from both the fireworks and any bonfires.
- Families should keep a torch, buckets of water, eye protection, gloves and a bucket of soft earth on hand. The bucket of sand can be used to place fireworks in ready to be lit.
- The area around the fire should be cordoned off and any children nearby should be supervised at all times.
- The fire should be lit away from wooden fences, sheds and any places where children will be playing.
- Petrol, paraffin or sprits should never be poured directly onto a fire. Families should use fire lighters to prevent sudden flare-ups.
- Sparklers should not be given to children under five.
- Adults should never hold a baby while using a sparkler.
- Sparklers should not be waved close to other people.
- Anyone holding a sparkler should keep it at arm’s length and wear gloves.
- After they have been used, sparklers should be place in a bucket of cold water.