The River Hill federation is committed to trying to find ways to reduce plastic use. Kellie Ansell will be leading a focus on this with parents, so if you are interested in helping find ways to reduce plastic consumption please share your ideas with her. Why are we trying to reduce our consumption?
12 million tons of plastic ends up in the sea every year. 1 plastic bag used on average for 12 minutes will be around in 1,000 years’ time. Animals are dying due to plastic consumption. So here are 9 tops tips for reducing plastic waste.
- Carry a reusable water bottle
- Say no to plastic straws – use paper ones instead
- Store leftovers in glass jars
- Re-use shopping bags
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers
- Use beeswax food wraps (they are biodegradable and reusable)
- Buy a reusable coffee cup
- Slow down and dine in
- Buy refill coffee, soaps, herbs and spices
- Buy fruit and vegetables that are not in plastic bags